Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life: Natural and Professional


As an aspiring news reporter, while in college numerous times I've been told that I won't make it with my hair being natural. Many times people say that natural hair isn't professional, but who made that rule? Why isn't it professional? It is utterly ridiculous to believe that because my hair is not straight it makes me (or anyone else) less professional. This crass idea only comes from ignorance of people believing that in order for "black" hair to look combed or neat it must be straight or laid down. I must admit that when I first heard this in undergrad and when I started my first internship at a news station, I always tried to pull my hair back into a neat bun.
After while, when I really thought about what it was to be myself, I let go of the buns and flaunted the curls. My hair doesn't make me less of a reporter or less of a college instructor. My students still learn and the community will still be informed of the news story. So I refuse to let anyone tell me that because my hair can get a little wild that I won't or can't be successful. It's up to Black women to change that perception in society. No, I don't believe that everyone should be natural, but I do believe it's time to eradicate the nonsensical ideas attached to natural hair women and their ability to be professional in different settings or occupations. And the only way to do that is boldly where your natural hair!

Although this video is a bit old it's very fitting check it out:

1 comment:

  1. Hi KLove! Thank you for this beautiful & inspiring post. (: I have featured your post here: http://myfairhair.blogspot.com/2013/07/up-close-natural-interviewing-women.html

    ReplyDelete